Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Faith and Journalism

As a member of the Church, I can say that I really believe in faith. I use my faith every day and am grateful for the experiences I have to exercise my faith. As a journalist, especially one at BYU, it is a difficult challenge to separate my religion from my reporting. I will always have my ideas and opinions and my bias will most likely favor my religious beliefs. Here at BYU that is typical. I would say everyone in the broadcast room feels the same way. Our news is all centered around our faith in a way. You cant escape your religion. 

When I go to seek a job outside of Utah when I graduate, my faith and my beliefs will not remain in the BYU broadcasting lab. They will come with me wherever I go. I have come to accept that it will be a challenge for me to leave my biases, yet not to let go of my faith and to deal with problems as they arise. In Mind of a Journalist, there was a great quote from David Waters. He said, "Our personal faith deeply affects who we are and what we believe, but it doesn't always have to affect what we do" (pg 93). I've thought a lot about it and really believe that I could be a good reporter in any setting If I can remember that I need to do my job. Reporting on a religious event would mean that I would need to remain transparent and only tell the facts. 

I've noticed that there are few stories on religion in the news today.In Utah we see it more, but thats because our market is filled with people who want to hear about the LDS Church. If we were to share information on other religions on the news here, I feel like people would become offended. That is why news channels are very picky with what religious news is shared whether it be printed or broadcasted. 

A few weeks ago, a group did an activity about the mosque in New York City with the Muslims. It showed how that our country is filled with bias when it comes to religion. Each group will be passionate about their own faith and will push it upon others. In order to be a great reporter and to avoid bias, its essential to follow the steps we have read about in The Elements of Journalism like verification, ethics, truth, independence, etc.

 There was another great quote from Waters in the book where he says, "If I'm a Methodist and I'm reporting on the Methodist quadrennial meeting, I need to check my personal experiences and beliefs at the door and just report on what happens, regardless of how I feel about it" (pg. 93). I would have to take this approach reporting anywhere outside of Utah. It might be harder than I am perceiving it I'm sure, but this is the best way for journalists to avoid inserting their faith into stories. Its important to gain trust with your audience, employer, and yourself when choosing what to portray in a story if it includes religion. I think that reporting on religion will open the doors for many things in our country. I just don't see it happening more mainstream any time soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment