Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Independence and Journalism

I think the activity we did today in class summarized it all. I liked splitting up in the groups and deciding each viewpoint of different groups through out the country. Most importantly, it brings up the point that as journalists, we have to be free from bias and have an independent point of view. 

All of the different groups had a different outlook on the situation. I think its a valid point that was made that everyone will view situations differently, and different news organizations will portray the situation differently as well. Thats how loyalty is gained within an organization. 

Diversity I feel was a great point to touch on as well. That is why America is so great! We have different people with different viewpoints and different thoughts. That is why its essential for journalists to be independent like this link shows. 

As we have talked about every week, it will be hard for a journalist to withhold from sharing some sort of their opinion in their stories. That is why its so essential to make sure all of the facts are covered, and verification is performed like we talked about the last class. 

My group had the opinion of the muslims in our class activity. Coming from that stand point really made me think about what I as a journalist would have done in that situation. I think it was a very good discussion and I think that if everyone had to take a look at the muslim point of view, things would have played out differently. As a reporter, I am going to have to try and think about the opposing view on every story. I'd hate to make a group of people feel neglected or abused because of a certain take on a story. I can't help but feel that happened for that group of people in New York. 

Being independent in journalism is another key step in being a true journalist. All of our aspects have really tied together and solidified a great definition for journalists to be defined by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment