Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Engagement and Relevance of Journalism

There are so many different news outlets with different reporting styles and techniques. They address different demographics and political views as well. Yet, each of these stations will share common newsworthy stories that the mass public will want to hear. With that said, people of all ages, types, opinions, etc will be watching any given newscast. That  is why it is so hard, I believe, in the news industry to create a show that provides news and stories to fit everyone's preferences. In the Elements of Journalism, it is pointed out that most people want to hear all types of news at the same time as well as the gossip(187). This means that as a journalist, we must be diverse enough in our reporting to be able to report on any given topic. 
In order to use the principle of "Utilitarianism", It will be important for any journalist to look at the principle and decide what really needs to be told. In class, we talked about covering what the audience needs to know as a first. I believe that to be the most important in any newscast. 
With that being said, I like using the example of reading the New York Times. While a lot of the information is targeted towards a different demographic than I fit in, I always know they will cover the need to know information. I will skim over the other information, but the important information I can always count on to be on the front page for me to easily access and have to understand what it is going on in the world. 
I don't look at the news in the New York Times as engaging to me unless it is relevant to me. That brings up a great point that news will be engaging if it is relevant to the viewer. By being able to use John Mill's principle and really understand it, I believe will help strengthen and help any journalist. Journalist's being storytellers and following this principle will go far in the industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment